VCF format is used as an universal format to store contact information including the name and phone number most commonly along with email ids, custom fields, etc. These files are very small in nature and are often used by mobile devices to exchange contact details of a single entry on the address book.
Open VCF File on Windows OS
- Look for an VCF file you need to open in Windows Explorer and double-click on it
- If the file doesn’t open automatically and you see a “Windows can’t open a file” message then you should search for a program which can open VCF file
- If you have a program which can open VCF file installed on your computer then launch that program and select “File” and then “Open” or similar options from its menu to open the VCF file
- If you don’t have the program installed then you need to try searching for “VCF wiki”, “how to open VCF file” in the search engine.
- Once you find the application, install it on your computer
- After the program is installed double-click on the VCF file to open it
File extensions are used by Windows operating system to specify what kind of information is stored in the file. Every file in Windows OS needs to have file extension and file extensions are used by Windows to determine which application it should use to open the file. Every application installed on Windows OS places information about which extensions it could open into the Windows registry and Windows uses this information to determine which application it should launch when user double-clicks on the file. If application which can open VCF file is not installed, then Windows will show ‘Windows can’t open VCF file’ message and buttons to either select an application on the computer which can open the file or to search the web for the application which can open VCF file.