What’s special about this file format?
The JSON is also useful for the purpose of serialization the data and ultimately, transmitting it over a network connection on the web. It serves as an alternative to the XML format as it can transmit data between a server and the required web application. The different programs or softwares associated with the .json files are Mozilla Firefox and Google Gears (which takes a manifest file). The .json files are used by Mozilla by creating a backup copy of the saved bookmark pages which have been created by the user. If, by any chance, the bookmarks get corrupted or deleted, then they can be retrieved back with the files of the JSON. In many ways, this is one of the most useful file formats. If you are a Mozilla user, this statement goes up a few notches.
What’s the primary use of this type of file format?
Primarily, the applications use the .json files for the data interchange purposes. But they might not actually save these files on the hard drive as the interchange of data takes place between the systems connected to the internet. However, some applications like Google+ use the .json files for the purpose of saving data as well.
Open JSON File on Windows OS
- Look for an JSON file you need to open in Windows Explorer and double-click on it
- If the file doesn’t open automatically and you see a “Windows can’t open a file” message then you should search for a program which can open JSON file
- If you have a program which can open JSON file installed on your computer then launch that program and select “File” and then “Open” or similar options from its menu to open the JSON file
- If you don’t have the program installed then you need to try searching for “JSON wiki”, “how to open JSON file” in the search engine.
- Once you find the application, install it on your computer
- After the program is installed double-click on the JSON file to open it
File extensions are used by Windows operating system to specify what kind of information is stored in the file. Every file in Windows OS needs to have file extension and file extensions are used by Windows to determine which application it should use to open the file. Every application installed on Windows OS places information about which extensions it could open into the Windows registry and Windows uses this information to determine which application it should launch when user double-clicks on the file. If application which can open JSON file is not installed, then Windows will show ‘Windows can’t open JSON file’ message and buttons to either select an application on the computer which can open the file or to search the web for the application which can open JSON file.