HCR files are most commonly used for storing curve data for the HydroCAD program developed by HydroCAD software solutions. HydroCAD is a CAD stormwater modeling program used to simulate and create drainage systems. The HCR file contains the rainfall curve data in plain ASCII text and is part of the overall project.
Open HCR File on Windows OS
- Look for an HCR file you need to open in Windows Explorer and double-click on it
- If the file doesn’t open automatically and you see a “Windows can’t open a file” message then you should search for a program which can open HCR file
- If you have a program which can open HCR file installed on your computer then launch that program and select “File” and then “Open” or similar options from its menu to open the HCR file
- If you don’t have the program installed then you need to try searching for “HCR wiki”, “how to open HCR file” in the search engine.
- Once you find the application, install it on your computer
- After the program is installed double-click on the HCR file to open it
File extensions are used by Windows operating system to specify what kind of information is stored in the file. Every file in Windows OS needs to have file extension and file extensions are used by Windows to determine which application it should use to open the file. Every application installed on Windows OS places information about which extensions it could open into the Windows registry and Windows uses this information to determine which application it should launch when user double-clicks on the file. If application which can open HCR file is not installed, then Windows will show ‘Windows can’t open HCR file’ message and buttons to either select an application on the computer which can open the file or to search the web for the application which can open HCR file.